Subject: Re: [Leica] Series VII Question
From: "Glenn Wm. Thrall" <gthrall@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:50:53 -0800

Jim Brick wrote:

> The circular polarizer, when used in the lens hood, can be rotated via the
> knob on the lens hood. If you buy a polarizer for the lens, a.) the hood
> may not fit over it, and b.) if it does, you will not be able to rotate it
> unless you remove the hood. On my 24mm R lens, I use the polarizer in the
> lens hood and rotation knob. It works great. I have used an 60EW circ
> polarizer directly on the lens, when I needed another filter as well. Of
> course, the hood then won't work.
>
> Jim
>
> >However, I also purchased a 28mm 2.8 with a detachable hood. The hood,
> >Leica part # 12509, accepts a Series VII circular polarizer. The lens
> >itself accepts an E48 filter.
> >
> >Which is more effective, using the hood as designed with a circular
> >polarizer, or place an E48 C.Pol on the lens itself?

Thanks Jim!

Then either option works (I've tried a B+W UV on the lens) however,
effective control requires the Series VII circular polarizer. Alas, back
to the Shutterbug advertisements! B&H quotes a ten week delay. My local
camera shop (Lee-Mac in Pasadena) has none in stock (either Series VII
or E48).

I appreciate your help! I now know what to look for ... the Series VII!

Glenn

Glenn Thrall
mailto:gthrall@ibm.net