Subject: [Leica] My Sunday paper
From: Stanley E Yoder <syoder+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:03:55 -0500 (EST)

    Since part of what seems to bring us together is our minority status
in a photo world visibly heavy with SLRs of Pacific Rim origin (hope
that's PC), a small note of cheer here in Pittsburgh. To wit:
    Today (2/22) the locally-produced [not "USA Weekend" etc.]
'magazine' supplement in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review* had on its cover
a picture of a local high-school English teacher, M6 at the ready
(replete with red dot). The feature article, "Photographer captures the
soul of America", tells of his documenting the length of highway US 83,
from the N. Dakota/Canadian border to Brownsville, TX. He did it in two
parts/two years, divided at I-70 in Kansas.  He works in B/W. No mention
of the Leica in the text, but it was very good to see it right there on
the cover, with half a dozen of his pics inside.
    His name is Norman Stock. Looks to be about 60, and apparently lives
only a couple of miles from me.

Stan Yoder
Pittsburgh

*This is Richard Mellon Scaife's paper, but for all its
arch-conservative editorial stance, it is a very-well-put-together rag,
and beginning to give the Pgh Post-Gazette some heebie-jeebies.