Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica in 2000
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 13:36:06 -0500

Jim Brick wrote

>So with your grip on, look and see if there is a
>1/2" or more room. You'll have to get your finger in there to push the
>button when you are releasing the mirror.

Nope it won't work, just not that much room, oh well I'll just keep
taking the grip off - Kind of a pain in the a**.

>Out of curiosity, why do you have
>a grip on your camera and also want mirror release (I'm assuming on a
>tripod)?

Well, I do just about every kind of photography you can think of.  The
company I am a staff photographer for does the Tennessee Vacation Guide,
the North Carolina Travel Guide, both travel scenic photography stuff.
The Tennessee Economic Development Guide, Kentucky Commerce; both high in
corporate/industrial stuff where color correction gels and longish
exposures rule the day.  We also do 2 NASCAR magazines, 1 NFL magazine
where sports action shots rule.  In addition to this we do about 30
smaller community magazines where I shoot everything from sports to
people working on computers where I drag the shutter speed to pick up the
monitor, to scenic stuff, all in 2-3 days. On top of this I am a Black
Star shooter where I will go from doing an environmental portrait for say
the Family Circle or The Chronicle of Higher Education to shooting an 18
wheeler painted with special paint on the Interstate for Dupont the next
day. About 2/3 of what I shoot is hand held, the rest is on a tripod and
it is my opinion that the R6 is difficult to handhold with out the grip.

Donal, Bill Welch, Bill Grimwood, and Kim Sherman have all seen some of
the magazines we produce and perhaps they can clarify what I am trying to
say.  Since I will go from shooting something as I am on the fly hand
held at good shutter speeds to a longish shot on a tripod, sometimes with
only the time it takes to walk down the hall to a different location, I
like to keep my equipment versatile.  Having to remove the grip to use
the mirror prefire just is not to bloody versatile...IMO

Long answer for a short question, I know.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto