Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica M-3
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 08:07:49 +0000

On 21 Feb 98 at 13:30, thibault collin wrote:

> What is this M3?
> Look at the pic :
> http://iguana.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6503751

This is very interesting.  This is being presented as a null series
Leica M3, one of the early prototypes for works testing and also
given out to a few external photographers for evaluation.  "Muster"
(which the seller claims is scratched on the inside of the back)
means "model" or "sample."

I am by no means an expert on these things, but a number of things
make me suspicious.

1. Shutter speed scale 1-2-4-8-15... The shutter that used this scale
   was introduced in 1957, long after initial production.  Early M3's
   had the scale 1-2-5...
2. Black paint.  I have never heard of a black paint works prototype.
3. Five screws exposed on the mount.  The first 600 M3's, and thus I
   would suspect the prototypes, had four screws exposed on the
   mount.
4. Dim blurred picture, can't see the strap lugs or rewind knob or
   pointer in the frame counter, all of which would tell us more
   about whether this is a fake.

Thus I would advise caution on this.  A valuable works prototype
with unique black paint suddenly shows up out of nowhere, with the
wrong shutter scale and mount, advertised with dim blurred pictures
by a seller who has no history on EBay before one month ago and
pleads ignorance about Leicas but sets reserve at $2000... I could be
wrong, but this sets off alarm bells for me.

- -Patrick