Subject: [Leica] Re: Snakes and security
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 9:34:00 +0000

>Joe Stephenson
>wrote
>We have a backup system in support of the dogs. All exterior doors have a
red
>sign with white letters that says SNAKES. It's never been broached. And no
one
>has come to our door with religious or commercial intent. You can't be too
>safe!
===================================

Joe,
I too saw a sign warning me of snakes on a recent long distance walk I
undertook this Summer here in England. It seemed most incongruous, the
largest snakes here are maybe a couple of feet long and not poisonous (grass
snakes), I'm sure the owner had foriegn snakes but it still seemed unlikely
that he'd let them be wriggling around, roaming free to attack preditors,
they're expensive and would easily 'disapear'.

Everyone
After a day or two of reading oblique critiques of my honest response to a
fellow Lugger's reasonable question, I shall reply.

On this hoary subject of personal security, I have to admit to having a
burglar alarm but feel that we can get too wrapped up in presuming the world
to be everything that we've read about in the National Enquirer. I'm not
saying that there aren't some bad guys out there but I think we need to
expect more of our fellow men rather than less. If we assume everyone to be
out for what they can get it leaves us with a lower moral concience, a lower
self-worth, a more base existance. Sure we can wrap ourselves up in our
ivory towers and barbed wire or whatever but did that ever advance ourselves
personally? I rather think not. These cameras of ours are only material
possessions after all, sure we can enjoy them but I'd rather have a
relationship with people based on trust and understanding rather than guns.

Jem