Subject: [Leica] RE: The choice is easy.................
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:25:13 -0500

>From: Ray & Kit Yuen <ryuen@ix.netcom.com>
>Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 21:23:03 -0500
>Subject: [Leica] Opinions Please

>Hi,

>If you had your choice, would be buy a Leica R8 with a 50mm Summicron,
>Hasselblad 501cm with the standard 80mm lens, or a Canon EOS 1n with a
>28-70 f2.8L?

>Even with the high quality and extreme sharpness of Leica lens, does
>anyone believe that they can compare favorably with the image
qualities
>produced by medium format lens such as those from Hasselblad?

>TIA
>- -Ray

Well that depends on whether you are planning to purchase other lenses
in the near future and how big your wallet is.  Really a 50 will limit
you as it is too short for tight portraits and too long for scenics or
family shots.

It seems to be a waste to purchase a new R-8 and have only one lens to
use on it.  It is a waste to purchase a Hasselblad and only have one
lens for it.  Besides that,  high quality and extreme sharpness are
relative only if the rest of your technique, composition and  exposure
are at a high enough level that you end up with those types of results.
 If you aren't going to make prints bigger than 8x10, the extra lens
quality of pro-lenses or medium format cameras is pretty much obscured
by processing.

I owned a three lens Hasselblad kit that I sold to buy Leica M.  I
rarely print anything larger than 11 x 14 and I found the results from
it in the field were less than satisfactory due to subject movement,
wind  and the decreased working depth of field.  I was using a monster
tripod that was a pain to carry around and you can forget about hand
holding it.  I like using wide lenses like a 20mm for 35mm.  Price a
40mm or SWC.  I like using lenses between 135mm and 200mm, price a 350
or 500 for the Hasselblad and then look at the speed of the lens your
getting (and they have color fringing too).  Besides that, it isn't all
that fun to lug around anyhow.  It's a great studio camera though!

If you look at an 11 x 14 ( from 35 Tmax 100) from 2 to 3 feet, you
can't see grain.  The grain is not really all that noticeable even at
closer distances and quite frankly, if people are commenting about how
grainy the image is......  they must not have anything good to say
about the image or they consider 4x5 to be a small format camera.
Those who look at my photos find it hard to believe they were done with
35mm.  (They were shots with Canon FD zooms, sorry LUG)  But that
discussion comes long after talking about the subject, lighting and
composition.

The EOS1n with a 28-70 2.8L is a monster of a combination as well.  I
use it on a regular basis for event photography but rarely take it on a
hike, as it and the 70-200 f/2.8L require a packmule for comfortable
transport and how often do you need F/ 2.8 outside, ( Well... if it's
really raining and dark you do and anything in the jungle of course,
but most people don't take pictures there and you usually end up
needing a tripod anyhow.)    But I would take this combination over any
single body and single lens any day.  But you could probably do just as
well with a A2, Elan II or N-90 if you want AF and use the money saved
to buy another lens.

But hey, there are lots of possible combinations.   I would recommend
spending less on a camera body to get more lenses as you will be able
to do far more with improving your photography in that manner.  You can
get a near mint 35, 50, 90 and a near mint R-5 or R-7 for less money
than a new R-8 and new 50.  But if you want to buy a 24mm or 180 in the
future, you might want to price them and your desired system first.

If you really want to spend the money for an R-8 and a 50, buy a 35 and
a 90 as well, or skip those three and buy a a 35-70 zoom if you don't
need the speed.

For what it's worth,

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio