Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions Please
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:03:20 EST

<<  Even with the high quality and extreme sharpness of Leica lens, does
 > anyone believe that they can compare favorably with the image qualities
 > produced by medium format lens such as those from Hasselblad? >>

There are a couple of issues to consider here.

The first is that even the highest quality medium format lenses are not nearly
as sharp as the best 35 mm lenses.  Accordingly, the advantage of medium
format is significantly reduced by this.

Secondly, the resolution of film has so dramatically improved that the
advantage of medium format has been reduced by this also.  The lesser lens
quality of medium format is the limiting factor.  Improved film does not has
as much advantage to medium format as it does to 35 mm, because of the
limitation of the lenses. 35 mm lenses can take better advantage of the better
films.

However, in my opinion,  high quality medium format  equipment can produce
prints that are somewhat sharper than those taken with the best 35 equipment.
This is evident in prints larger than 11 x 14.