Subject: [Leica] from a neophyte LUGer
From: DavidS8451@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 18:45:08 EST

Dear LUGers,
I've been following the newsgroup for the past month or so, as part of my
research into purchasing Leica equipment.  I, for one, really appreciate the
tone and helpfulness of the members' posts, and I've learned a great deal from
your responses to new members' inquiries.  I have also learned a great deal
from the web pages Stephen Gandy and Hans Pahlan.  I've recently purchased a
new M6 (not HM) and 35/2 ASPH and I've been very pleased with the results.  I
have a couple of questions for the group.
1)  This past weekend I was shooting with my new M6 on the summit of a 4000
footer in the White Mountains of NH, on a very bright and cold (-10 F) day,
when the rangefinder patch seemed to disappear.  I saw a reference to this
phenomenon recently in a post, and my question is, was this due to the
brightness of the snowy environment or to the cold temperature?
2)  I would like to add a 90/2 lens to go with my 35.  Can anyone tell me what
serial number range I should look for to get a used "skinny" version, and
would this older, "skinny" model be comparable to the current version?
Thanks in advance,
Dave Schaller
Newton, MA