Subject: [Leica] Re: Ted / Jeff / Marvin = NO !!!
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 09:44:49 -0500

Marvin wrote:

<<<< Most emphatically NO -.>>>>>>>>

Thank goodness another wise LUGGER!

I know the earlier personal profile was a good idea, it was a great
information thing and made me understand fellow luggers and luggetts more
so.

But in posting what "EQUIPMENT" we own is like waving a red flag in the
face of a bull.

It's a known fact to police that crooks and thieves use the internet to
learn about various "life styles of careless and unwary information
givers."  And when you do that, they find out where you live and don't
think it only happens in certain areas like north America, It happens right
around the world as fast as our e-mail goes!

So what we have here is LUG members divulging their lifes worth of gear
openly for the "world to see!" The criminal element are not all  morons
some folks think they are. These days they are very sophisticated and
interconnected just like we are.

You post you have this big bundle of bits and pieces and even if one of the
thieves doesn't know what a Leica is, they can find out very quickly it's
worth and "POOF!"  Welcome home to an empty house of photographic
equipment.

And that's the problem I have, it's the equipment posting.   Not the
personal, "Hi I'm an engineer or doctor or truck driver, professor
whatever."  I feel very strongly this open and obvious listing of equipment
is a big mistake in todays world.

Some of you may think it's cool to tell the the members you own every
camera and lens Leica makes, but you may find "you don't own it much
longer."

And this equipment collecting list has absolutely nothing to do with how we
collected the personal profiles earlier, which I feel was an interesting
bonding for members.

However I'm not laying out everything I own simply because I don't want to
replace what goes missing and in that, many things which are completely
irreplaceable!  During normal postings and we menton certain equipment it
isn't an obvious message and gets skipped over.

Folks do as you wish, but may I suggest , "Don't come cryig with a posting
that your home was ripped clean! You wont get any sympathy! certainly from
me!

This is meant to be a very serious posting, please don't take it
lightly!!!!!!  It may save your ass!

ted