Subject: Re: [Leica] Saving Leica (from Solms)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 20:16:35 -0600

At 09:05 PM 2/15/98 -0800, you wrote:

>The point is to sell product, and I doubt if anyone has more camera
>bodies out there than Canon. .  Leica would have to design nothing, just
>basically copy EOS designs under license.   If Tamron and Sigma can
>mount their manual glass in EOS mount, Leica should be able to.  You do
>have a point though, it could prove too much for Solms.

Right. The company that makes the best lenses, and the most precise
mechanisms in the business can't handle it. And pigs fly.

Leica would be hard pressed to justify the licensing of the ultrasonic
motors needed to make compatible lenses. Sigma doesn't in their EOS lenses,
and the focusing speed sucks in comparison. Nikon refuses to pay for
licenses for USM technology for any but their longest lenses. Think they're
not capable?

>Obviously Leica is well known amongst experienced photogs.  But most
>photogs aren't experienced.     Something is wrong with the picture when
>both Canon and Nikon are probably selling more cameras in a week than
>Leica does in a year.

And Chevrolet sells more cars in a day than Porsche does in a year. Which
is the better car?

>service, doesn't mean we have to accept it.   Someplace there is a voice
>on the Solms board which is saying "Don't worry about the repair
>turnaround.  We don't have to go  to the extra expense of adding new
>people.  We have them trained to expect 4-6 week repairs!"   As
>consumers we deserve more, to complain until there is a voice on the
>Board saying "But Sir, I don't think they are going to take this any
>more!"

Yeah, and that voice is also a member of the Club of Rome and is conspiring
to not only starve the populace of most third world countries (with Jimmy
Carter's help) but to assist the Illuminati in taking over the photographic
world...

Okay, so I exaggerate way too much. Let's get a grip. The evil Gnomes
haven't invaded Solms. The size of the repair crew in Leica's repair shops
are probably optimized for the overall benefit of the business no doubt.
Name one camera company that is faster. None.

When I have pro repairs done at Leica, I get my cameras fixed in a week or
two at the most, unless the part is exotic. That doesn't happen too often.
Of course I don't have black M2s to repair.

But then, try to get a meter finder on a Nikon F repaired, let alone with
the right colored screws. Screws or not, the meter is dead in the water. Or
get the Shutter priority metering prism fixed on a Canon F1. Or even find a
battery pack for it. Maybe if you're lucky at a flea market. Leica can fix
an M2, pretty or not.

If you don't like their speed, send them to an independent repair person.
DAG has repaired and returned a camera for me in less than 24 hours not
counting shipping time.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Never forget: 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.