Subject: Re: [Leica] R series entry level.
From: Steve Hickel <smhickel@x2.alliance.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 23:34:30 -0500

David,

I just picked up an R4s. I love it. I have owned an F4s and do own and F3HP
and an N8008s (Nikons). I will tell you that the first lens I have for the
F4s is a 3-cam 35mm/2.8 Elmarit. The lens is heavy (good) and the camera in
combo with it feels real good in the hand. The camera has a spot meter in
manual and one Aperature priority mode -- the other mode is Aperature
priority with broad metering.

The build of the camera is good. The meter is easy to use (although the
shutter speeds are sometimes hard to see) and the feel and shutter pull is
almost sexy. The price was right. I probably have no more than 850 into it.

It seems that the R system in the elmarit, R3/R4/R4s, is a real bargain
compared to M system equipment. I see the inkling of a few of us to get a
thread going for a bit to discuss the optics of the R to the M, but I
suspect that the answer is that they are the same quality. The difference
is that the M system is lighter, quieter, and doesn't have mirror slap. The
R4s is battery operated whereas the R6.2 is manual. The difference in price
is quite substantial for an R6.2 or an M to the R4s.

Good choosing.

Steve