Subject: Re: [Leica] Handheld Limit of Noctilux
From: Paul vanPeenen <paddler@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 09:30:44 -0800

Erwin wrote:

>With all due respect I am inclined to suggest that the discussion about
>sharpness and the proofs thereof will rest on a decent and measurable
>yardstick. BTW: sharpness according to all books I have read is a
>subjective and therefore interpretative idea.

I must disagree. A photograph is either sharp or not. Subjectivity doesn't
enter into it. Looking at photographs, the subject is very obvious,
especially at wide open apertures and if the eyeballs are not snappy -
regardless of film speed - the picture isn't sharp. Unless the photographer
didn't focus on the eyes but wanted the nose or ears instead.

The taking of the picture is subjective. Its sharpness isn't.

Pv

Paul vanPeenen and Liz van'terve
paddler@istar.ca