Subject: [none]
From: cummer@asiaonline.net (Cummer Family)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 14:00:58 +0800 (HKT)

From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:09:26 -0500
Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 Fantasies
Ted Grant wrote that:
>George Berger wrote:

<<<<but reissue an updated "CLE". That should satisfy all but the
perfectionists.>>>>>>>>>

>Hi George,

>I'm not completely familiar with the CLE story, but from postings here >and
>that I understand to be it's early demise from Leica production, it >didn't
>sell very well and was cut from the team.   is that correct?

>If that were the case, why would they bring it back? Given there are so
>many P&S type machines flooding the market these days, as well as those >APS
>things?

>ted

Ted the CLE was Minolta designed and made after they stopped making the CL
for Leica. I suspect that Leica was surprised to find a <new> camera from
their former partner taking the M bayonet and perhaps there was behind the
scenes legal manouvering to get Minolta to stop using what Leica must have
considered proprietary. For years Leica has said that their lenses don't
focus properly on the CLE and that CLE lenses won't work on M cameras. From
personal experience I know that is nonsense. Please read the excellent
report on the CLE at Stephen Gandy's site at  Stephen@CameraQuest.com