Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 Fantasies
From: George Berger <gberger@his.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:44:19 -0400

>ted grant wrote :

>I'm not completely familiar with the CLE story, but from postings here and
>what I understand to be it's early demise from Leica production, it didn't
>sell very well and was cut from the team.   is that correct?

Hi Ted -

The CL was made in Japan by the Minolta folk. I believe most are familiar
with the body and the lenses. However, after the CL was discontinued,
Minolta produced the CLE as a follow on body that could use both the lenses
manufactured for the CL as well as most of the M series lenses.

I an one of the lucky (or unlucky - -  take your pick) people that sprang
for the CL, and then for the CLE.  IMHO, the CLE body was a significant
improvement over the CL.  My CLE accepted my 35, 50, 90 and 135 M series
lenses (I had the earlier Canadian 35, without the interior ring). Of
course, the framelines didn't match - - -  and I did a *lot* of guessing at
first.  I finally settled on use of the 35 and the 90 Tele Elmarit on this
body.   I used the CLE for several years - -  until gremlins appeared in
the form of erratic exposures due to the now-infamous cracks in the
motherboards.

I still use my CLE in the manual mode (shutter speed and apature set by
hand), and keep my older 35mm mounted on  the body. It's one helluva
combination!

With TTL flash, apature priority, small size, selectable plus-or-minus two
stop  bracketing at half-stop intervals, and a flawless film advance
mechanism, it should have been a winner. Why Minolta ceased production,
I'll not wager; however, I believe that it had to be the QC problems with
the circuit board. As you know, the Japanese are *very* finicky when it
comes to items that are sold in Japan that are made in Japan. If something
is wrong, the retail establishment that sold the product usually is
expected to make good for the error.

I'd buy a newly-minted CLE in a microsecond - - provided the QC problens
are overcome.

As an aside, when Pat and I were in Tokyo, in August of 1984, we saw a
complete CLE kit in a  camera store for around $3800 US !

George Berger
gberger@his.com