Subject: [Leica] Newbie asks advice
From: Derek Zeanah <derekzeanah@keymail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 12:08:23 -0500

I generally use 35mm cameras for candids at weddings/receptions, and I'm
looking for a good low-light camera.  I went to the rental shop expecting
the EOS1N + 85mm f1.2 to blow me away, but it's so slow to focus that I
can't imaging being happy with it (I'm currently using Canon manual-focus
equipment).  On a whim I tried out an M6 + 75mm f1.4 just before I left the
store, and I fell in love -- small, quiet, precise, quick to focus...  I'm
sure y'all know how it felt.

I'm pretty confident that a pair of M6's + 75mm f1.4 and 35mm f1.4 would
feel great during the reception, but I'm worried -- I'd rent the things to
find out, but I know if I decide it won't work I'll have a difficult time
not using them anyway.  :(  I'm looking for the voice of experience to
guide me before I set myself up for heartbreak.  <g>

I guess my 2 worries are these: how long does it take to reload, and how
much of a PITA is parallax (sp?) with the longer lenses?  Can you reliably
frame a head + shoulders shot using a moderately long lens?  Focus in low
light seems like it would be easy, but is it?

Just curious.  I'm more into tools than most of the professional portrait
guys I know, but I don't know _anyone_ who has even considered Leica.  I
hope I'm not missing something.  (Wish I'd had an M6 for my Italy trip last
summer, instead of the 45lb photo backpack with Bronica, Canon, film, etc.
A lot can be said for a small light camera with great optics.)

TIA
Derek Zeanah
PGP ID:   0x9EAFC818
PGP fingerprint =  67AE 1FAA 029A 59D3 EC10  4487 EF30 413C 9EAF C818