Subject: [Leica] Digital database filing slides
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 9:57:56 -0500

>Does anyone have an easy to use photo database program to recommend?
How

- - ------------------
>Richard Clompus, OD

I'm using 3 ring binders and clear pages for the slides as well as
negatives.  We've got something like 60,000 slides and another 90,000
negatives in our archive.   I stopped counting my images a couple years
ago.

I've got everything broken into categories by subject type and by date.
 The best slides of each category  I duplicate in quantity and we sell
those to people who want to put together slide presentations on HCJB or
Ecuador.  All of those, about 3500, have a two number code  (53-125
etc.) and we store the those originals in separate binders.  If someone
wants one of those scanned, I'm using the reference # for the filename.
 I'm putting the other original slides I have scanned in the front page
of the appropriate binder to make it a little easier.

I figure it is easier to look through our current all inclusive binders
for the image rather than look at a few thumbnails and it seems like a
waste of time to scan everything in whether I need it or not.  Besides
that, I don't have time.  It only takes a couple moments to scan
anything into the computer so at this point I'm only digitizing things
that I really need in the computer rather than just scanning everything
in sight.

I'm really new at this too and am concerned about keeping the system
compatible with our archives as well.  It's hard to know what system
would be best for you since we don't know how you currently archive
your images (by date, patient # subject etc.)  But you may find that no
database program works perfectly for you.

Hope that helps a bit at least.

Duane