Subject: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #163
From: Mike Johnston <70007.3477@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:33:46 -0500

 Hate to break this to y'all, but there is _no chance_ that any M7 that Leica
will build will be a camera that will appeal to the Leica M faithful. No chance
whatsoever. The current market forces and the imperatives of salability
militate against it too strongly. _Any_ camera they build will be a
disappointment, at least to any of you who truly appreciate the virtues of the
M. I guarantee this--remember where you heard it, so I don't have to say "I
told you so" later on. Meanwhile, keep your M6s and be grateful they exist.

 Here's what is needed: a camera that retains the traditional operating
parameters of the M6, only with modernized implementation that would speed up
most set-up (non-shooting) operations and reduce purchase cost, but not
complicate or alter shooting operations. I.e., the new camera would be a manual
focus rangefinder with a well-built metal body. The modern implementation would
include:
 --swing-open back
 --built-in motorized film advance
 --autoloading
 --auto-rewind on demand
 --a modern shutter with speeds to 1/4000th and 1/250 flash sync
 --TTL flash metering
 --better dust sealing

 And POSSIBLY aperture-priority exposure automation IN ADDITION to manual
exposure, and a self-timer. (I think those of you who are asking for total
mechanical operation are simply not taking into account how cameras actually
work--besides, we already HAVE a manual Leica M!) But it should ABSOLUTELY
retain the traditional virtues of traditonal size and weight, solid
construction, SIMPLE control parameters, rangefinder manual focus, floating
viewfinder framelines, and quiet operation; and any new camera should be
designed for much-improved manufacturability such that it would cost half as
much as an M6.

 We will absolutely not see such a camera. Any new camera will be: more
complicated, less direct, with more controls; it will not be as quiet, and it
will be more or less just as expensive as the current manual camera, if not
more so.

 Most people who buy cameras don't use them (or don't use them seriously), and
these non-, casual, and occasional users constitute the buyers who must be
satisfied by a new product. It's not that Leica will get it wrong through
ignorance; it's that they _must_ get it wrong (in user's terms) in order to
market a salable product that will appeal to today's market. Mark my words.

 --Mike (Editor, _PHOTO Techniques_ magazine, Chicago)

P.S.
>>>I am curious?  What three lenses and body did HCB use for his landmark
work?<<<

Cartier usually used whatever was the latest Leica camera body, up to the M6.
He usually carried three lenses, a 35mm, a 50mm, and a 90mm. Peope who have
studied his contact sheet books (archived at Magnum in Paris and New York) say
there is occasionally a shot that looks like it could have been taken with a
90mm, almost never one from the 35mm (Magnum's Erich Hartmann says never even a
single 35mm shot). From its introduction, the 50mm lens HCB prefers and uses is
the collapsible-mount 50mm Summicron. Virtually all of his work has been done
with the 50mm focal length.