Subject: Re: [Leica] Black Tape
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 2:25 +0000 (PST)

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

> Working on my latest project I spent a great deal of time making
> photographs in public places with lots of tourists, many of them wanna
> be
> photographers. I enjoyed talking with every one of them. It helped to
> pass
> the time waiting for the sun to move. It broke up the lonliness of 11
> hours
> days hiking through nowhere alone. Lastly, hearing their stories of
> connection helped me to learn other perspectives on the place I was
> photographing . Maybe 1 out of 100 even gave me a good idea.
>
> In an age when everybody is down on photographers, it's nice to have a
> few
> people who respect what we do. Let's not blow it.

I don't think you realise just *how* unpleasant things have been for
anyone even vaguely resembling a press photographer in the UK, since
you-know-who took her fateful last journey with a drunk driver.

A friend of mine had a really nice web page with examples of his press
work, he got abusive & threatening *email* for heavens sake. He's giving
up and going into full time IT, partly because of this.

TV Cameramen & photographers covering the funeral were abused & spat at.