Subject: Re: [Leica] scanning LEICA output
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 10:53:38 -0800

> From: Stephen Kobrin
> I have narrowed down to either a Nikon Coolscan
> II or the next model up, which I believe is the Nikon LS-1000 (?).
> Questions: does anyone have experience with these two scanners?  What
does
> one get for the considerable difference in price?

A very interesting review of the LS-1000 can be found at
http://johnp.simplenet.com/psmart/psmart.html. He compares it to the HP
Photosmart. The higher cost of the Nikon is reflected in the results.

I am about ready to take the plunge, too, and am leaning toward the
LS-1000. Have you been shopping prices, Stephen? Seen any good deals out
there?

With Leica's history of the system approach to photography, why don't they
market a scanner that will match the quality of their lenses? (I won't hold
my breath).

Gary Todoroff