Subject: [Leica] Great Big puny waves.
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 00:00:01 -0800

LUGnuts:
A bit of adventure today in the California storm.  Sailed girlfriend's
new 20 sailboat (heavy cruiser type) out San Diego bay and into the
ocean.  Wind only blowing 15-25 so pulled a reef in the main, tucked the
trim in tight and beat in the South wind blowing right down the channel.

Near the end of Point Loma the swell and waves were 15-20 feet.  We
would drop down the back side, look back and see the city and mountains
behind disappear.  I have been in far more wind and once got to enjoy a
North Atlantic Full Storm in a ship near Iceland, but never from a small
sailboat seen such big rollers, some going cross ways, merging.  The
boat just settled in and road 'em up and down. The only tricky time was
dodging an aircraft carrier (on way to Persian Gulf, Marines lined up on
deck).  There is not much channel left when an aircraft carrier is in
it! Sailboats have right of way, but who's going to argue?  On one side
a stone breakwater and on the other waves breaking a quarter mile from
the coast.

Anyway, tried to take some photos.  I could see a big one coming and
steer with knee and try to frame things--and it all looks like a
millpond.  I shot a couple rolls one handed, but even with boat in
foreground, you just don't get the overwhelming power and size.
Girlfriend grew up in Hawaii and knows the North Shore waves and said
these were BIG, but not breaking; giant buffalo shoulders pushing their
way across the ocean.

I have several hundred books on sailing and seamanship and many with
pictures of stormy seas and only one or two hurricane shots even come
close to showing the full power and size of these beasts in the open
ocean.

Of course, I don't have enough sense to be scared and enjoyed every
minute of it.  But the body is bruised and battered.

donal
- ---
Donal Philby
San Diego