Subject: [Leica] Defective Lens
From: Bill Christensen <kangwei@interaccess.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 22:29:28 -0600

Thanks to Eric's post a couple of weeks ago, I ordered the 180 f2.8 R
lens from Tamarkin.  A great buy:-)

It arrived yesterday and I have the "privilege" of joining the LUG's
reject club.  Inside the front element, a light spec about 1/8th inch in
diameter was clearly visible.  Perhaps, something went array in the
coating process.  It was not dust.

Eric at Tamarkin was most cordial - yes Ted, I remained calm and
rational - and will send a new replacement upon receipt of the first
lens.

I can't help but wonder how much Leica's reject rate costs.  Perhaps if
they could get their act together, the savings could be passed on to
their devoted consumers via lower prices.

Incidentally, has anyone used the 2X APO extender with this optic?  Your
comments would be welcome.

Regards.

Bill Christensen