Subject: [Leica] Bracketing
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 22:46:02 -0500

>> To Bracket Or Not To Bracket?

>> ... bracketing seems a brute-force substitute for
>> precise metering technique.
>
>Yes.  I'm astonished that bracketing is now an expected mode on many

Bracketers and single imagers:

First, if you don't shoot chrome film, you shouldn't be allowed in on this
conversation.

I routinely bracket in 1/2 stops and give clients the correct exsposure.
Not rarely, A client will ask for a lighter or darker exsposure, and I have
it.

Also, as Ted has pointed out, in out-of-the-studio settings where the exact
light ratios can't be controlled, bracketing allows different
interpretations of the same scene. In dramatic high contrast situations I
will often bracket in full stops or more, and I rarely disgard more than
one of the choices. Most of the time the least interesting image is the
corectly exsposed balance of light and dark.

The advantage of Auto-bracketing is that it is exact. With an EOS you can
auto bracket on manual. There's nothing automatic about it. Rather it
adjusts the shutter speed or F-stop in perfect increments. I'd love to have
it on my M.

Tom