Subject: Re: [Leica] Jazz Photography
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 20:24:02 -0600

At 11:26 PM 2/5/98 -0500, you wrote:

> Although I dislike the golf ball-sized grain at higher speeds, I was
> amazed how much of it disappears when the "despeckle" filter is applied
> to a high-res image in photoshop.

Despeckle? And the sharpness goes away too! The best way to handle grain in
P3200 in Photoshop is to use Unsharp mask at something like 100/.8/9 and see
what it does. Then play with the numbers to tweak it.

Of course, if you know how to use snapshot in Photoshop, then clone (with the
rubber stamp tool set at "clone from snapshot" after despeckling the whole
image, taking a snapshot and then giving the undo command) back into the image
only in the areas that need despeckle, it's a great tool. On the whole image
with despeckle and sharpness is gone.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Never forget: 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.