Subject: Re: [Leica] 75 Summilux
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 09:16:00 -0500

At 05:54 PM 2/6/98 +0800, you wrote:
>I am trying to decide between the 75 Summilux and the 50 Noctilux for
>low light photography.  I photograph mostly people/cityscapes at sunrise
>and sunset handheld using TX and Delta 400.  Maybe it is my old age or
>the caffeine but I can't seem to hold a camera steady anymore at 1/30
>like I used to.  I will be using either one of these expensive lenses
>probably wide open at 1/125 to avoid camera shake.  Does anyone out
>there has any experience with the 75 Summilux?  This is one lens that
>does not get mentioned too often.  The reviews I have read on the
>Noctilux have been mixed.  I am leaning toward the Summilux because the
>hood does not obstruct the finder, but it is slower.  Any other
>opinions?  PS, I do use a tripod when the subject is not of the mobile
>type.  Thank you in advance.

\
The Summilux is slower and you will have to use higher speeds to hand-hold
it.  It's a great lens for portraits, but the Noctilux can't be beat for
low-light.  These
two lenses both have to be focused very carefully. If I had to choose one
for my type of photography, I would choose the Noctilux; however if you do
more portraits than low-light you might want to choose the Summilux.
Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>