Subject: [Leica] The M6 HM
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 14:17:40 +0100

In front of me I have at this very moment a M3, a M6 and a M6 HM.
The M6 and M6HM are identical of course, so I can concentrate on the
viewfinder. There is more to this finder than just the .85 factor. First of
all the framelines are thinner and most important stay aligned under
whatever angle you look at them. Everyone can notice that the M6 framelines
wander a little when viewed obliquely. The small distortion in the outer
corners of the M6 are also gone. The viewfinder is really a joy to look
through. The field is absolutely flat and distortionfree. It gives less
strain on the eye and is very clear and clean. The 90mm frame is alone and
that makes for a nice compositional feature.
The 135 is now usable. The object can now be focused at with the framelines
giving a good clue of what is included on the negative.
The 35mm frame however is not visible as a whole without pressing your eye
very closely to the ocular. In fact the HM is a 50 to 135 finder with a 35
assisted frame.
So a carefull asseement has to made made before selecting one.
Next week I will do an accuracy test to see of the enlargement really mens
something for rangefinding with high aperture lenses.
Erwin