Subject: Re: [Leica] Jazz Photography
From: "Harold Gess" <gess@icon.co.za>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 23:14:06 +0200

Hi Marc

Dingey bars/bistros are always a problem to me, chiefly because I shoot in
colour, but don't worry if you're shooting B&W, as this makes everything
much easier. I regularly shoot with a 35mm Summicron, as well as my
Noctilux, etc. I think rating your film at 800 ASA should be fine. Flash is
the killer of atmosphere...avoid it at all costs!

Stage pix in dingey bars/bistros usually give me an exposure around F2.0 at
1/8 - 1/30 ... sometimes up to 1/60 on 800 ASA. Jazz musos are usually not
as mobile as rock musos (when the singers want to shake their manes around!)
so you should be fine on those speeds.

Best of luck

Harold

Visit my web site at:
http://hgphoto.home.ml.org

You can send a short text message to my cellphone by sending e-mail to
0837004303@sms.co.za.
Please ensure that mail sent for this purpose is in plain text only.

My e-mail addresses are as follows:
haroldgess@journalist.com
gess@icon.co.za
Please use either of these to reach me and, lest you lose sight of it, have
a nice day!