Subject: Re: [Leica] Compur Shutters
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 23:19:18 -0800

Leikon35@aol.com wrote:

>  At Mon, 2 Feb 1998 18:20 -0500, Ted Grant wrote: >snip<
>  > It's almost heresy to use flash with the thing!  I know some
>  >  folks do, but to change the shutter to "battery driven" for a handful of
>  > flash enthusiasts is ridiculous.
>  Just as a note of trivia - Leitz did cater to the flash enthusiast at one
> time
>  by making the Elmar lens in a Compur or Compound shutter with speeds
>  up to 1/300sec.  From 1926 to 1941 - a total of 1,710 were made and are
>  worth around $10,000 each today.
>  There a photo of my Leitz Elmar #111,865  in a Compur Shutter on Jun
>  Nakajima's Leica Web site:
>          http://www.magicalights.co.jp/cgi-bin/leicaboardE.cgi?read=29
>
>  Marvin Moss

Marvin,

I thought the Model B was made as a less expensive alternative since it
didn't have the focal plane shutter.  I'm not sure how much flash
photography was done in its day.

Now the compur shutter Summicron, that's another story.

Dennis

- --
Experience is a tough teacher. It gives the test before the lesson.
- -unknown