Subject: Re: [Leica] Above AF
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 1998 20:41:02 -0600

At 03:15 PM 2/4/98 +0000, you wrote:

>Agreed, I'm really unhappy at the way the other manufacturers seem to have
>handed the whole digital marketplace to Canon/Kodak on a plate. I *like*
>the DCS520, I really admire the design and it works well, but as I said at
>the launch "call security, someone's stolen the aperture ring".

If Leica is to go with buttons instead of an aperture ring, which I doubt
they ever will, then they will have to support two lens lines for a long
time to come. The Nikon F5 is instructive here. You cannot benefit from
aperture automation in an N90S, because when you use the lens's aperture
ring, the readout of aperture in the viewfinder (not optical, it's LCD)
doesn't work, and precise control is limited. But with the F5 yoiu see the
apterure readout in the viewfinder, because you're controlling it with the
camera, not the ring on the lens.

Now you may ask why is this good and why would Leica want to do this? With
ROM lenses, as it has been reported, you have more precise control over the
aperture. So 1/3 stop increments could be controlled by the camera. And the
difference between the N90S and F5 Nikons would be the same with Leica. The
F5 can control the aperture down to 1/3 stops, and the N90 can't. Heck,
Nikon lenses don't even have 1/2 stop detents.

So Leicas of the future could make good use of electronic control of the
aperture for more precise control. Isn't that the name of the game? Who
cares how the aperture is controlled, as long as it gives you better
pictures? (Which I imply from better control.)

I will admit I like controlling the aperture the old fashioned way. That's
what I'm used to, but it didn't take long to get used to the F5's way of
doing it, and actually becomes faster and better with a bit of practice. So
if it gives me more precise exposure with Leica, so be it!

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

He, who will not reason, is a bigot;
he, who cannot, is a fool;
and he, who dares not, is a slave.

William Drumond, Scottish writer  (1585-1649)