Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 Wonder Winder Whiner
From: "Lucien_vD@compuserve.com" <Lucien_vD@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 11:34:03 -0500

Ted wrote:

>I strongly believe they released the camera a year before they were read=
>merely to have it on the PHOTOKINA shelf!!!!  And all they did was make
>themselves look like a third world camera maker instead of the Leader we=

>expect of them.

Ted,

I agree with you, but do you think that Leica could afford to stay =

two more years with only the R7 and the R6.2 in order to support
all the new lenses ? (70-180/2,8 etc..)
(I don't discuss here the quality of those cameras, but the marketing
attractiveness)
In term of marketing, I think that the R7 was already a mistake.
I mean : the R8 was really late, six years to late!
Just have a look at the sales increase !

BTW the M6 0,85 is 3 years and 3 months to late !
(From a R & D point of vue it was ready in october 1994 =

M6 0,85 =3D black M6 + viewfinder of the M6J + 75mm frame)

Lucien
BELGIUM