Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutters & Individuality
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 03:15:08 -0500 (EST)

Dear Colleagues,

During the years when Leica and Contax dominated 35mm photography (the early
50's), there were considerable differences between those two CRF cameras.
Their meters operated in contrasting ways, their controls were situated
differently, Lenses were focused differently. Their focal plane shutters were
constructed using contrasting materials, The viewfinders of the M and Contax
were unique to these cameras.
Even body construction were vastly different. Each drew its own
photographers.

Were Leica to board the same express as the present Contax and Nikon ERFs,
with all the electronics required, there would hardly be much of contrast
between any of these glorified P&S's. Leica Solms might stress the quality of
the glass, but even that marginal difference would be sidelined by the AF or
EM uniformities and engineering requirements. In a word, complexity and its
complications in use and maintenance would overcome the individuality of the
Leica.

As an example of what would happen, please consider that the Leica P&S's are
not in their own class. I have no doubt that Canon and Olympus will produce
equal if not superior models to those of the Solms's best P&S's. For all I
know, the major Japanese outfits might be producing 'Leica' P&S for Solms.

I'm constantly amazed at what my Olympus XA can do at f2.8.
And that XA doesn't even have AF. I sometimes wonder whether when the XA is
set at 8' some sort of silent surrepticious AF mechanism is at work in that
little body.
Incidentally, the XA's back is made of metal. So how much difference is there
between a manual and AF P&S after all?
I'm not all that impressed by the zooms in the P&S's either, and that
includes Solms's -- from what I've seen of their prints.

About 10 years ago I wrote to Leica about producing a multi-focal lens for
the M. They wrote back that such a lens had been tried in the 30's and didn't
measure up to Leitz standards. They stated flatly that they wouldn't go that
route again either.

The Leica M's are in their own class -- and the quality of the images prove
it. It is both an artist's and money camera. Let's not wish it away.

Bob