Subject: Re: [Leica] Above AF
From: "Ferdinand U. LuDo" <fld@mozcom.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 09:52:46 +0800

>Tom,
>
>I can only ask on behalf of those who have and do use Canon EOS1n's and
>Nikon F5, why would they switch to Leica if the autofocus system isn't
>equal to or faster than they are?

Because of the Leica glass!! I use both EOS1n and M6 for different
applications. For my leisure, take time photographs,low light, potrait, &
travel, I use the M6. But for action sports, zooms, macro shots,  I use the
EOS1n. But if I have extra funds, I would love to get an R7 or R8 for the
area apps of zooms and macro and long tele lens & leave the EOS1n
exclusively for sports and action photography.

>I used Leicaflex and motor drives for years and thought I could follow
>focus and focus athletes in action very well and very fast! That was until
>I had a very rude awakening when I used EOS 1's!  Then I found out just how
>slow I was at this sports game of photography!

That is very true !! Last weekend I did a fluvial parade in our hometown
using my M6, half of my shots were blurred due to the fact I couldn't keep
up with the moving subjects. (although blurred, still they are nice!)

>Besides on a world wide count I bet 90% of Leica photographers would say
>they don't need autofocus for the type of work they do.

Somtimes, if funds permit, its nice to have an af and a all-manual camera
like M6. Best of both worlds.

>I feel if someone requires autofocus then buy extra gear as in the Canon
>and use it when you need the quickness. Otherwise plink along with the good
>old fashion and sure Leica manual style focus! :)

I agree!!

Regards

Ferdinand