Subject: Re: [Leica] Retrofocus Lens Design
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 21:59:02 +0100

At 07:55 PM 1/30/98 -0500, Mike Johnson wrote:
>--this old saw about all lenses being better if they don't have to clear
>the mirror box is an old wives' tale--if you'll think about it for a minute,
>_all_ point-and-shoots have lenses that don't have to clear a mirror box.

Mike,

I think you got things from the wrong side:

The fact that a certain design like eg non retro design MIGHT allow higher
optical performance does not mean per se that all lenses following this design
are better than all other lenses.

But while I can imagine of having a retro design in a Leica M, I cannot imagine
having a f4/21 Super Angulon M mounted on an SLR without smashing one mirror
or the other.

If a retro design would yield better optical results I am shure Leica would
offer such a lens for the Ms. (Although I have no proof for the latter.)

christoph