Subject: [Leica] New Dheli tour
From: Ian Stanley <ian@mos.com.np>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 1998 19:39:18 +0500

Greetings all,

	I just got back on Friday night from a four day trip to New Delhi.
Unfortunately, because of flight delays the best part of two of the days
were taken up waiting for delayed flights.  It seems that the radar at New
Delhi stopped working and the instrument landing system quit shortly after
the radar.  On the day I was to leave the air traffic controllers decide to
strike in protest of poor equipment.  Such are the joys of living in this
part of the world.  The flight from Kathmandu is usually just over an hour
but not this time.

	As I do not know Delhi at all, I hired a car, driver and guide and hit as
many of the tourist spots as I could and now I know the places that I want
to spend more time at next trip.  One of my favourite places was the Qutab
Minar Complex - the ruins of a Moslem site from the early 1100's.  The
majority of the structures are made of sandstone and marble.  The red
sandstone in particular was interesting as the numerous shades changed as
the mist cleared and the sun came out.  I was even moved to use colour film
for a change - Velvia.  I got all the film back today and there were a few
keepers in the bunch.  For you motorcycle enthusiasts out there - I managed
to get a some shots of old Harley trikes that had been converted to people
carriers.  Most of them had newer engines mounted in them but the
everything else, other than the passenger area, was pretty much stock.

	I didn't manage to find many camera stores and the ones I did find really
didn't have much in stock.  Camera shops here in Nepal carry a lot more
than I found there.  It really wasn't a disappointment as this was not a
buying trip.

Ian Stanley,

Kathmandu, Nepal