Subject: [Leica] A level of lens protection
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 22:43:21 -0800

LUG people,

I was talking to Sherry Krauter (Golden Touch Quality Camera Repair) a
while back, and she said, "If one takes out the filter, from the ring, and
mounts the ring to the lens, it will protect the lens from a fall or impact
quite successfully."  She has been advocating this for years to her
clients.  No UV filter glass, but the ring!

Many of you LUG people know Sherry (and Golden Touch,) as one of the
premier Leica (and other camera) repair persons. So as someone who has seen
years of dropped cameras, I would trust her observation.

Folks, I'm just passing this along to the LUG since many of you out there
are worried about protecting your lens glass. Sherry is a very
knowledgeable and trustworthy person, and for you LUGgers that are worried
about bashing the front of your camera (with lens attached,) her years of
experience are worth listening to.

Jim