Subject: Re: [Leica] Battery life (and price) for R8 motor-winder
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 98 21:23:54 +0100

On 28-01-1998 04:25 Eric Welch wrote:

>My solution is the bite the bullet and use the 2CR batteries (we can find
>them for about $5 a pop here in the U.S.). But did you miss the statement
>about the rechargeable unit that goes on the bottom of the Winder R8?
>That's what I'm planning to get. I can live with it until then, since my
>employer buys my batteries. :-)
>
>The Power Pack MW-R8 will solve the battery problem with the winder. I
>would hope the motor has a rechargeable unit too. Especially if it can be
>dropped in the same recharge "dock."
>==========
>
>Eric Welch
>St. Joseph, MO
>http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Well, that could be a solution, but not a very practical one in my case.
Have you already seen how big the power pack MW-R8 is? The advantage of
the motor-winder is that it's so small, light and unobtrusive. If you add
the power pack to it, you lose all these advantages, and then you might
as well go directly for the motor-drive that will give you a better grip
than motor-winder + power pack. I guess that the combined price of
motor-winder and power pack would be in the same league as the
motor-drive, so no gain on that side as well.
A pity Leica did not make a motor-winder which operates on normal AA
batteries. This would only result in a rather moderate increase in size.

Now that we are at it, maybe it would be better in any case not to use
the automatic rewind function provided by the motor-winder. This drains
the batteries unnecessarily. You might as well rewind the film manually
and, frankly, this is much more fun... :-)

Pascal

Sent on a Macintosh PowerBook G3, the fastest laptop on the planet