Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 35mm Aspherical lenses vs. "older"M series 35mm
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 10:02:35 +0100

Mani,

Both, contrast and color rendition, of the 1.4/35 asph Summilux
agree to the current 2/50 M Summicron's rendition. While the
pre-asph 2/35 Summicron is a more "cold" lens, showing white and
white-blue slightly emphasized, the 1.4/35 asph Summilux shows
colors neutral, (very) saturated, and lots of shadow details.
Maybe, because the 1.4/35 asph is a high contrast lens.

Between f 1.4 and 4 the 1.4/35 asph Summilux is extremely sharp,
and even at f 1.4 it is more sharp (in my experience), than any non-
- -asph 35 mm M lens at any f-stop.

Different-1, it is not the first choice above f 5.6. Here, the pre
asph 2/35 Summicron is superior.

Different-2, the out-of-focus rendition of the pre-asph 2/35 Summicron
is *far more pleasant*.

If you do not depend on that extreme sharpness between f 1.4 and f 4,
you should keep your Canadian lens. It is as remarkable as the 2/90 M
Summicron.

Maybe, someone else likes to add individual experiences resulting from
the 2/35 asph Summicron ?

Alf