Subject: Re: [Leica] "Requiem" The best book
From: "Cyrus Gardner" <gardner@pop-list.cais.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 23:45:44 +0000

The "Newseum" in Washington, DC currently has a large exhibit of
prints of photos from the book.  Very moving, and spectacular
job of printing and display.  One of the authors, Tim Paige, had a
simple technique for getting great combat shots:  When the GIs
ducked, he stood up and snapped pictures.  He was twice severely
wounded.  His good photographer friend Sean Flynn (son of actor
Errol) was killed.  A couple of Flynn's photos are in the exhibit.

>  Hello Friends,
>

>  Today I received a book I tought(when I bought) was a ordinary photo book
> about war...
>  No, not even a single chance... It is one of the best photo books I ever
> seen in my life. It is dedicated to the 135 photographers who died or got
> MIA in action during the Vietnan an Indochina war. Great, really great
> pictures and the best part... Leicas everywhere...almost... some Nikons too.
>
>  One of the photographes, Larry Burrows said:
>
>  "Do I have the right to carry on working and leave a man suffering? To my
> mind, the answer is "no, you've got to help him."
>
>  in one picture you could see Larry Burrow with his M3 helping the GIs with
> a wounded soldier in a evacuation of the battlefield.
>
>  The same Larry who got killed in a helicopter crash in Laos, during the war.
>
>  Reading this book you cold discover what the word "Photographer" means.
>
>  Buy it!!! it's really great...
>
>  "Requiem" by the photographers who died in Vietnan and Indochina
>
>  Authors: Horst Faas / Tim Page
>
>  Editor: Random House
>
>  ISBN: 0-679-45657-0
>

>  Regards,