Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V2 #125
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 20:35:33 -0600

At 01:05 PM 1/28/98 +0000, you wrote:

>count Pentax, who co-designed the lens with Zeiss) to the 15/3.5 and has the
>commonly accepted finest versions of these lenses: 21/2.8, the 35/1.4, the
50/1.4, the

Not true. The Zeiss 35mm 1.4 is not the best, not even in the top two. :-)
It's rather old, from the 70s I believe.

>I'd also agree that the R lens line is the finest overall line in terms of
build;
>I'd just like a fatter disclaimer when I read  that any lensline is the
superior one
>overall.

Sure there are disclaimers, but what Mike said was true. Overall, it's the
best. You will not be able to buy any other line and have a good, and
flexible and have available awesome performance, and consistency in look as
with Leica R. Zeiss might actually have finer lenses, but it's way more
restricted in what's available.

Leica has the SAME 15mm lens as Zeiss. It's made by Zeiss. The 19mm Elmarit
I'll stack up against Nikon's or Canon's 20s and say there is no comparison
at all. Don't know about the Zeiss 21. I'm sure it's just as good or maybe
better.

But try to get a 400 2.8 from Zeiss. Or a 600 f/4, or 800 f/5.6, or a 560
f/4. There was a prototype 600 f/4 by Zeiss. The price? Like maybe Bill
Gates could buy one for weekend photo forays.

No question some lenses by others are great, even better. But I don't want
to own others. It's hard enough owning Leica!

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Backups? We doan *NEED* no steenking baX%^~,VbKx NO CARRIER