Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 50 mm question
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 12:04:59 +0100

>Dave,
>Increase your version number by one, ie the current optical design is
>v 4, since the original collapsible and firest rigid chrome lenses are
>distinct
>optical designs....

This statement has been made several times and has never been proved. The
original Leica brochure from 1954, describing the introduction of the
Summicron, including its optical properties, show the identical design for
both versions. My own findings support the conclusion that the collapsible,
the rigid and the DR are optically identical. Unless somebody gives really
factual and conclusive evidence to the contrary, I would prefer to state
that there were inly three designs and the current one is number 3 and not
number 4.
Erwin