Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters, again, very long.
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 20:57:38 -0800

At 10:35 AM 1/27/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hey Jim:
>
>Since you leave your front elements naked to the world, how do you keep
>them looking brand new?  In other words, how do you clean your lenses?
>I used to use microfiber cloths, compressed air, and camel hair brushes
>on my Nikkor lenses, but I am scared to touch my Leica glass with such
>potentially dangerous instruments.....how do you handle dust and dirt?
>
>Francesco

Don't ever watch a Leica technician clean your lens. Don't ever go to a
Leica workshop with Leica folks there.

Lenses aren't fragile. You clean your Leica lenses just like you clean any
other lens. ROR, micro-cloth, cotton cloth, whatever. Unless you have some
old lenses that have soft coating, don't worry about cleaning your lens.
But by all means, keep it clean.

If your lens is old and perhaps with a soft coating, it also doesn't have
UV glue. So if you are careful where you point it when shooting, a UV
filter would help in this circumstance.

A lens cap will do wonders when not shooting.

IMHO,

Jim