Subject: [Leica] An Update Regarding R8 Screen Experiments
From: Myers Pete <MyersPete@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:20:49 EST

Hi LUGnuts:

First, my thanks to Ted for recommending that I contact Nils Thorsen at Leica
USA. Thank you Ted!

Mr. Thorsen and Bill Maxwell of Maxwell Precision Optics have been in contact
and are now exploring the feasablity of using an R4 screen as a 'donor' screen
to convert into an R8 screen. It will not be until Feb. before this
investigation gets underway, but it is in the works.

Again, for those of you that have not caught my previous posts, we are trying
to find a brighter and less gritty focusing screen for the R8 - but one that
still has focusing aides.

While Popular Photography may not be the greatest resource in the photographic
world, I did note with interest an aritcle in the Feb. 98 issues discussing
their perception of the degradation of view finders and focusing screens in
more current cameras. It did give me a bit of hope that by b----ing about the
R8 screens is not a total act of lunacy, but rather may have some merit.

I'll keep you posted as we make progress.

Pete Myers