Subject: [Leica] RE: Enlarging lenses/ a flat field is better for macro
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 11:32:24 -0500

I respect Jim Brick, but I beg to differ that enlarging lenses make
poor camera lenses especially for macro work.  The reason camera lenses
make poor enlarging lenses is because of curvature of field..  The
reason many Leicas lenses (some of the non ASPH Summiluxes) would make
poor enlarging lenses is that they have extremely high curvature of
field which is incidently is one of the reasons cited as to why they
don't do well in Popular Photography tests.  The reason many normal
lenses work better reversed for extreme close-ups is due to too much
field of curvature and a few other reasons I'm sure.  (I'll defer to
Erwin.)

Ron Wisner will tell you that you want your lens to have the flattest
field of curvature possible and to imply that you need curvature of
field to render 3-Dimensional objects sharply is simply a bunch of
bunk.  Think about it,  When we focus on something, the zone of focus
is relatively flat as objects behind and in front of the subject are
out of focus anyhow.  Whether I'm  taking pictures of flat objects or
not is really irrelevant.  Do you want to use a camera lens that can't
render a wall 10 ft. away sharp from corner to corner? I certainly
don't.

Curvature of field is only one the things that designers are looking at
while designing lenses,  they will often fudge on a bit on that to have
better corrections in other areas of the design.  A lot of large format
landscape photographers use "process"  lenses (I.E. G-Claron and Nikkor
M) for photography of 3-dimensional objects and they work great as long
as you use them stopped down to a reasonable aperture.

I believe that the using the Rodenstock APO enlarging lens Christoph
has will give him superior results than almost any lens he could
choose.  High quality APO enlarging lenses will run circles around any
normal lens and most macro lenses when used for close-ups.  I can not
answer whether this combination is as good or better than the 100 F/2.8
APO R for macro work.  Someone else who owns suitable equipment for
testing will have to answer that.  I can say with no hesitation that he
won't be disappointed by the results.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador