Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 mm M lens comparisons (long)
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 11:31:03 +0100

Tom:

We are speaking about transparencies, ok?, since - whatever you
try in prints, it's washed away by the labs (in my experience).

The difference in color impression between the rigid chrome Summicron
and the current version is as strong as the difference in color impression
from paintings in impressionism and expressionism.

Since the current Summicron "agrees" in its color rendition to paintings
from the period of expressionism, you cannot show the transparent and
fragile presentation of light anymore: There's no "air" between the colors.

Let's suppose you like to show the impression of blossoms floating/
hovering (word ?) above a meadow (sorry, I don't have another example at
hand), then the current Summicron both, does not and cannot, show it
anymore, because it shows the green of the leaves too strong. The
transparency is gone, because there's no "air" between the colors
anymore.

Usually, if you like to pronounce colors, you underexpose 1/3 or
1/2 of an f-stop, depending on the subject/object and type of film.
On the other hand, you cannot "soften" colors by overexposure, since
you loose the deepness in the shadows.

So, although more sharp, the current Summicron has lost parts of its
abilities.

Alf