Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Summicron problem
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 09:56:14 -0800

Boreham wrote:

> I have a new type 50 summicron ie with built in hood. The problem is
> that
> the snap-in 39mm lens cap falls off as soon as you look at it. I have
> also
> got lenses with snap-in 46 and 60mm lens caps and these are fine.The
> larger
> sizes have metal springs which push out the two tangs; on the 39mm the
> push
> is provided by deforming a plastic ring, which being plastic behaves
> plastically not elastically!  Anyone else bugged by this problem or
> got a
> solution?
>  Thanks in advance
> Mike Boreham

The best solution I know of  is to sell it and buy the previous version
(same optical formula)  with the larger detachable vented hood.

I am not a fan of Leica's new smaller 50 hoods on the Summicron and
Summilux.  Another case of marketing getting the best of engineering at
Solms, something which seldom if ever happened in Wetzlar.

Regards,

Stephen Gandy