Subject: Re: [Leica] Rapidwinder Report
From: 75501.3002@compuserve.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 23:43:12 -0500

Stephen Gandy wrote:

<<<I am at a  loss to understand any advantage of the Rapidwinder over the
current M6 motor.   What am I missing here?>>>>>

Hi Stephen,

The M battery operated winder usually sounds like a Mack truck running on
one cylinder (I've owned and discarded three of them) They are distracting
compared to Tom Abrahamsson's "Run Silent Run Deep" manual Rapidwinder.

<<I have not used Abrahamsson's Rapidwinder, but I have used the Leicavit
and various Canon Rangefinders with the rapidwinder  built into the
body.>>>>>

It looks somewhat like the old Leicavit, that's where the distinction emds,
period. Tom's Rapidwinder is as smooth as silk, hand machine manufactured,
smaller than the battery winder, fewer inner working parts than the
Leicavit and literally silent operating.

Certainly no more noise announcement of it's use, than quietly advancing
film in the M6 by normal thumb advance.

This winding accessory has to be felt and handled on an M6 to appreciate
what you have in hand and how well it functions.
Many of us on the LUG have them and swear by them.

In my case, a one eyed left eye photographer I used the battery M winder on
and off for several years, but I became frustrated with their malfunction,
noise and size. They were just a pain in the butt.

So this meant as a left eye shooter, each time I had to advance film the
camera had to leave my eye to avoid digging out the right one compltely.

It also means if I were shooting changing expressions or minor action, I
missed some of it due to this eye situation.

I will say quite frankly what Tom Abrahamsson gave me, was a new lease on
picture taking life with M6 cameras. Now I shoot away to my heart's content
without taking the camera away from my left eye. This may not mean anything
to right eyed Leica M6 photographers, but it is something very special for
me after these many long years.

Stephen you may have used the other rangefinder winders, however until you
have the feel of a Tom Abrahamsson Rapidwinder on your M6 you have no idea
what you have been missing. :)

Trust me Stephen, would I lie to you? :)

ted

Gals and guys!  No Tom doesn't pay me to say this! :)