Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron-M 50mm or Summilux-M 50mm?
From: "Michiel Fokkema" <mfokkema@pop3.worldaccess.nl>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 01:20:17 +0000

> What are the relative merits of the Summicron-M 50mm f/2.0 and the
> Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 for the M6. Tests are not always quite clear on the
> issue, although I get the impression that the Summicron often receives
> better test results than the Summilux.
>
> Does anyone have experience with both lenses? Which lens should be
> preferred in terms of highest overall optical quality?

Hello Pascal,

I switched from a DR summicron to a summilux just because of the
smaller DOF. I still use the DR for closeups and it performs very
well, but for all low light situations and portraits I highly recommend the
summilux(I have the latest version). At full aperture it is a bit soft but you can
use this softnes to make your photo's more dramatically.
In my experience it performs just as well from F1:2.8 as the s'cron but I get the
extra stop, the smaller DOF and the dramatic effect a full apeture.

               Greetings,

                              Michiel.