Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron-M 50mm or Summilux-M 50mm?
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 00:25:05 +0100

>What are the relative merits of the Summicron-M 50mm f/2.0 and the
>Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 for the M6. Tests are not always quite clear on the
>issue, although I get the impression that the Summicron often receives
>better test results than the Summilux.
>
>Does anyone have experience with both lenses? Which lens should be
>preferred in terms of highest overall optical quality?

On my site you can find a comparative analysis of these lenses.
The Summicron is optically corrected to a higher degree. And aspecially the
contrast of the Summilux at spatial frequencies of 30 lp/mm and below is a
bit weak (not in the centre but in the outer zones). When using this lens
at full aperture (1,4) and shooting at shutterspeeds around 1/60 or lower
it is hardly possible to record these 30lp/mm. So in most practical
situations you can not use the full optical potential of this lens and
therefore not run up to its optical limits.
Erwin