Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 1.4 R lenses
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:31:07 -0800

I agree with you completely....the price and performance do not match.
The lens is excellent if stopped down past f/5.6, especially good at f/8 and
f/16, but I did not buy a 1.4 lens to use it at f/8.  I think for 35mm, the
f/2
lens would definitely be a better choice....I mean, f/2 is quite fast already!

Yes, I love my 80/1.4 also....I have found it heavy, but as you say, sturdy
and reliable.  I find it produces the best images at 2.8 and smaller
apertures.
Focusing at f/1.4 is VERY critical and mistakes (for me anyway) are common.
Also, as the manual says, this lens needs to be well stopped down if your
subject is less than 1.5 meters away.  This is one of the reasons I am
considering the 100 APO as a replacement for my 80/1.4.  Sure, I'll lose
speed, but the things I gain outweigh the losses.  I gain APO quality, macro
capability, closer focusing, and a lens that is awesome at widest aperture,
plus
20mm extra focal length!

Francesco

Francesco Sanfilippo,