Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: shift bellows
From: CHKARNES <CHKARNES@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:28:08 EST

<<
 > How can a lens that is designed to cover a 24x36mm format possibly cover
that
 > format when it is tilted and swung?
 > Charlie

 If you think about the cone of light from the back of the lens just
 filling the frame of film, then imagine the lens farther away as it
 would be on a bellows, the cone of light gets larger, but of course you
 lose light according to the inverse square law.

 donal

Of course you are correct, Donal. But using the lens at a greater distance
means that you are focusing on a very close object. I guess I don't know why
anyone would need tilts and swings for such a photograph. Others have
commented on the use of the bellows for a 135/150mm enlarging lens. Of course
they would cover far more area than needed.
Charlie