Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: shift bellows
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:38:16 -0800

Just as camera lenses make poor enlarging lenses, enlarging lenses make
poor camera lenses UNLESS you are photographing a flat field. Flat to flat.
Like in an enlarger. Flat neg to flat paper. Use the enlarging lens to copy
photographs, artwork, documents, etc. It's much better than a camera lens
for this purpose. But not for 3-D subjects. Leitz originally used camera
lenses on their enlargers. But soon discovered that lenses made for flat
field work would be much better. So they designed enlarging lenses for that
purpose. As did the rest of the industry. That's why there are
enlarger/copy lenses, and there are camera lenses.

I'm not saying that the resulting photographs will be horrible or even
unusable. They will indeed be usable and possibly quite good. I'm saying
that lenses were designed for a specific purpose and work BEST when used
for that purpose.

Jim